Sunday, August 12, 2018

Deepen Your Practice

This was yoga teacher training (YTT) weekend (three). Also known as the weekend that I disappear.

Most YTTs advertise their training with the caveat that if you don't want to teach, you can do the training to deepen your practice. Of course, most trainers still want you to be able to teach. Although, I have heard tales of many emerging from trainings without the skill.

So, we broke off into groups of threes and were given a segment of class to lead and everyone had to be the leader of a segment at some point. I was sick to my stomach and I had company. My turn was today. I'm definitely glad that I didn't have to go first but it was also challenging to go last.

Stacy told us to "Fail magnificently..."

I am good at preparing "things" but not with a fifteen minute deadline. Because I'm fairly good in the preparation department, I'm willing to step up to the plate and, say, give a speech. Oddly enough, I felt comfortable planning for the opening (warm-up) sequence of class but had a hard time envisioning other segments, including strength and the cool down.

After we finished with our practice teaching, Stacy polled us to gauge our nervousness rate and she, for the most part, had been able to discern who would be the most nervous...

When I first started practicing yoga this woman named Kate subbed for one of my classes and one of my classmates wanted the lights off and Kate said that there was a lot going on for her as a yoga teacher in the role of teacher/observer. I can totally see that now. There are a lot of cues to give, and students to watch. Plus, you need to be able to go off script even if you prepared a sequence.

Training ended around 7:15 p.m. today. I went by the grocery store to pick up a few things and on the way home realized that I had forgotten bananas, yogurt and pineapple juice so I stopped at yet another store. It's kind of funny that I saw Stacy at the second store. She was like "You needed to see me again."

Decided to get Jonny Pops and the ones that I wanted, pineapple and coconut, were way in the back of the freezer. Thought about climbing to get them then nixed the idea. This clerk did exactly what I had thought about doing. He also gave me a coupon for one box free so I'm glad that I asked for assistance for once.


2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure you're going to come out of this with teaching skills!

    Never heard of Jonny Pops, I think I need some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy reminds me of my second swimming instructor who assured me that I would be able to swim a lap at the end of our session of classes.

    Let me know what you think of J Pops if you try them.

    ReplyDelete