Sunday, November 17, 2013

Breathe When You Get There or Stuff My Yoga Teachers Say

Soaked!
Gloria told us that we were going to do a gentle practice because it was a full moon and that in Ashtanga...

I didn't need to hear the rest. I was all in Billie Holiday mode: Don't explain. I am down for the gentle cause.

Yesterday, at the end of a remedial yoga class, Alison started taking about breath and gratitude. It was a simple talk but I found it moving and today I find myself grateful. As I walked, I noticed that half of the sky was dark and the other half sunny. Got caught out in the storm tornadic weather. I was soaked from head to toe but pretty lucky that I did not get crushed or impaled.


Stuff My Yoga Teachers Say


Alison:

If something hurts, stop doing it....

This is the second chakra...Your hips are like water (complete with water-like motions)...

Before we start, does anyone have any injuries that I should know about?... Does anyone have any injuries that they want to tell me about? As we get older, we all get injuries...we fall off our bikes...we...

One of my teachers made me stay in Warrior I for 45 minutes. I didn't think that I'd be able to do it but I did...

We opened our hips and now we're going to close them...


Elle:

We take 26,000 breaths a day -- which ones are you present for? Which ones are you making sweeter? 


Gloria:

You make progress on the exhale...

Ride the wave of the breath.

Modify. Be gentle. Be compassionate.

We are not trying to do some extreme yoga posture...


Jim (as he talked us into a high lunge with arms extended skyward):

Breathe when you get there.



Rebecca (during triangle):

There's no weight on that hand; it's an energetic extension of the hand.



Sharon:

Relax the muscle between your eyes. I see some of you during savasana and that area is still all tightened up.

You are so busy thinking about this and that -- what you'll do after class...I'll watch over you...I'll watch the clock.

Take that peace with you and share it with others so that one day we may have peace on earth...




No comments:

Post a Comment