Sunday, November 21, 2010

Stuff That Moves Me

My mother sometimes tries to get at my motive for eating certain foods like Greek yogurt and organic sugar. Does it have less calories?, she wants to know about the sugar.

Well, I let my mother take a gander at a Cooking Light that I had because she had been looking for quesadilla recipes; she ended up cooking edamame succotash for me. I was so moved that I didn't even ask about the bacon type. I also have not knowingly had butter in ages; it's a slippery slope, you know...

Edamame Succotash


Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
Cost per Serving: $2.47


Ingredients

1 slice center-cut bacon
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chopped sweet onion
2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
1 (16-ounce) bag frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons torn basil

Preparation

1. Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan; coarsely chop bacon.

2. Increase the heat to medium-high. Melt butter in drippings in pan. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn kernels; sauté for 3 minutes or until lightly charred. Add edamame, and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and next 5 ingredients (through bell pepper); cook 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with bacon and basil.

Nutritional Information

Calories:300
Fat:12.1g (sat 3.3g,mono 3.3g,poly 3.6g)
Protein:17.9g
Carbohydrate:37.2g
Fiber:10g
Cholesterol:10mg
Iron:0.9mg
Sodium:386mg
Calcium:28mg

Julianna Grimes, Cooking Light, AUGUST 2010
Cooked anything interesting lately or had someone cook something interesting for you?

5 comments:

  1. That was nice that she made that for you! I know what you mean about certain foods being a slippery slope. I made a yummy chicken paprika the other day - everyone liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. At least it was only a tbs of butter, that's not bad spread over 5 or 6 cups of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Diane,

    It is nice to be considered and thought about and I'm sure that your folks felt thought about when you presented that chicken paprika.


    @gingersnapper,

    Thanks for providing perspective. I sometimes have such tunnel vision...

    The succotash definitely had a good flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you on the going organic! I haven't managed to buy much organice except yogurt and ice-cream. Hmm...

    Your recipe looks like something off of Rachel Ray. She's always talking about lots of nutrition for fewer calories. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara,

    I definitely need the lots of nutrition and fewer calories.

    I'm with you on the organic front. I buy a few things but not all of my purchases are organic yet. As it is, I cringe at the total on most of my grocery receipts. However, I refuse to give up my costly Chobani pineapple yogurt et al. -- life is too short to do something like that...

    ReplyDelete