Tuesday, June 28, 2011

CSI: Yoga and The Space Between Your Eyebrows

Had a substitute teacher for yoga. She (Kate) left the lights up on the left side of the room and someone asked if they could be turned off.

It's hard to be me, Kate said then asked the closest student to come up to where she stood.

I'm trying to talk. I'm trying to observe...
We found a solution. The blinds were opened and enough light entered the room so that lights could be turned off much to the relief of Opal who was next to me. Kate also played music for us even though she thinks that people should be able to relax without outside stimulation.

Regarding solutions, Kate asked if anyone was bothered by anything because she was pretty good with fixing stuff including menstrual cramps etc.

I quickly realized what Kate meant about the difficulties she faced once I saw how much she interacted. The class felt like laughing yoga too because Kate had me cracking up a lot especially when we hugged our knees to our chest; she said this position was the wind one but it was all in the way she said it...

Kate had us start in corpse pose with our heads toward the center of the room. For the next fifteen minutes, it was litany time. At first, I thought hush but then I got on board and a smile spread across my face time after time:

  • Relax your mind.


  • Relax your crown.


  • Relax your forehead.


  • Relax your eyebrows.


  • Relax the space between your eyebrows.


  • Relax your nose.


  • Relax your lips.


  • Relax your chin.


  • Relax your heart center.


  • Relax your navel center.


  • Relax your arms.


  • Relax your hands.


  • Relax your wrists.


  • Relax your fingertips.


  • Relax your spine.


  • Relax your buttocks.


  • Relax your legs.


  • Relax your ankles.


  • Relax the top of your feet.


  • Relax the bottom of your feet.


  • In between spurts of instructions to relax, Kate tells us about carbon dioxide, oxygen being carried to cells, breathing diaphragmatically plus in three parts of our chest and, later, how muscle grips bone. This chatter, of course, is what made me think of Crime Scene Investigation. She also tells us to breathe in one continuous flow from the tips of our toes to the crown of our heads. Somewhere along the way, I leave the jerky breathing behind and I leave the tension behind as we make a fist and raise our arm one to two inches off the floor then flop it down. Repeat with other hand and legs...

    After we do the root lock and a crocodile pose, I take off my glasses and even my earrings get in the way.

    We come back to this part of the program:

  • Relax your mind.


  • Relax your crown.


  • Relax your forehead.


  • Relax your eyebrows.


  • Relax the space between your eyebrows.


  • Relax your nose.


  • Relax your lips.


  • Relax your chin.


  • Relax your heart center.


  • Relax your navel center.


  • Relax your arms.


  • Relax your hands.


  • Relax your wrists.


  • Relax your fingertips.


  • Relax your spine.


  • Relax your buttocks.


  • Relax your legs.


  • Relax your ankles.


  • Relax the top of your feet.


  • Relax the bottom of your feet.


  • Kate is telling us to feel the love and compassion for ourselves and to feel the love and compassion for others and she reminds us that we have the power to tap into this relaxed state at any time.

    It was so odd during Kate's relaxation litany, I kept thinking of her as a guide and it made me think of a line in the 23rd Psalms -- thou art with me.

    4 comments:

    1. Oh I am so glad you posted this. I'm having a big problem with stress right now and need to learn to relax myself. I used to do that if I was having trouble falling asleep, and it's very effective. I used to start with my feet first, though. This sounds like a better way. I <3 corpse pose!

      ReplyDelete
    2. @gingersnapper,

      I hope that you're feeling less stressed.

      I feel like I have a better tool for relaxation now but it is amazing how you forget other things in the ol’ arsenal.

      Maybe we need to post reminder notes???

      ReplyDelete
    3. I just finished a hot yoga class with six minutes of relaxation at the end of the class to just sit and breathe. It was refreshing after all the sweating. I think you would like it.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Sara,

      I think about hot yoga off and on especially since I have a greater tolerance for heat right now.

      When I have more yoga experience under my belt, I'd definitely like to try it out...

      ReplyDelete