Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Experimental Shirt

Alison told me about one of her projects which involved dyeing white shirts for yoga. In turn, I told her about my frustration with finding yoga attire.

There's nothing like thinking that you found the perfect shirt comprised of a nice tri-blend only to discover that it hikes up and down and won't stay put.

I've since read such a simple tip from curvyyoga.com -- go right ahead and do a downward facing dog in the dressing room. Why didn't I think about that?

Alison also told me that she wears a yoga top underneath another top. I have passed by those little sleeveless yoga tops so many times because I knew that I would never wear them to class.

I own a sleeveless, racerback Oiselle shirt that I got via a MizFit giveaway so I tried it out this morning underneath a very cool dri-wick situation that I got from Old Navy. I felt better with the shirt underneath but I did get warm.

The Experiment

On another yoga note, I'm totally on board with the whole idea that people who arrive late to yoga might just need the class the most but please take care of your velcro situation before you enter when class is in progress. As The Honest Toddler would say ridikilus...

As Alison and I exited the gym, I saw the First Couple of Yoga on rowers. What?! The gym has new rowers. That's a machine that I can get on board with...

After yoga, went for a walk because it was about 57 degrees and it's supposed to be in the teens tomorrow. Listened to this Fresh Air podcast Fear of Fainting, Flight and Cheese: One Man's Age of Anxiety -- an interview with Scott Stossel about his new book My Age of Anxiety: Fear, Hope, Dread and the Search for Peace of Mind. Very interesting -- especially when he said that there is a large genetic component to one's temperament.

I think one of the reasons that I'm pretty unshakable is that a lot of my folks are -- if you don't count the time when I was little and scared to sleep in my own room or the time when I was on Grand Jury duty for three months. I think GJ would shake anyone up. There was one day a week devoted to sexual assault and domestic violence, ugh...

Stossel also emphasized that genes are not destiny. I also believe that he said that meditation can reduce the size of the amygdala.

According to Science Daily:
Conditions such as anxiety, autism, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and phobias are suspected of being linked to abnormal functioning of the amygdala...
Another good point that Stossel makes: There are multiple ways to build resilience.

P.S. There are times when I wish that I had a fear of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment