Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Tag Team

I've been referring to the weekend as 48 hours so that I can tame my expectations.

On Friday, Chiquita texted that my cousin Charles, the paternal patriarch, was having a fish fry and to let others know. Felt like I had to go even though there's the awkwardness of not knowing huge parts of my paternal kinfolks and maybe the awkwardness is why I needed to go...

Outside of the yoga class that I went to observe on Saturday, I stayed home until the fish fry. Not even sure what else I did that day.

I also promised Chiquita that I would go to the new recreation center that she is trying out. Chiquita is working with a wellness coach and has to get on the treadmill, specifically, four 35 minutes at four miles per hour. Because I despise the treadmill, I moved in the direction of the natatorium -- never heard it called that before...Swam for 30 minutes and put my swimsuit in one of those little water extractor machines; wish I had access to one all the time.

Chiquita was still on the dreadmill so I checked out a basketball. I love that the facility even has a modest rock climbing wall. They also have aqua yoga.




The facility is about 20 minutes away from me. Hmmmm....

My aunt D invited the family to church on Sunday afternoon since she was a deacon-elect. The preacher said that it was not a service and that he had already conducted several services earlier in the day but as the 'Fugee said when I told her that I'd been at church for over three hours -- Oh, preachers like to preach.

First up -- the friend of the bishop. He talked about an assignment (deacon, minister, elder) that comes with service. He also talked about assignment assassins which really resonated with me. I also like what he said about staying in the dark room (like with photography) and to stay in development. Also, prepare yourself before you present yourself. Couldn't agree more with the latter.

The bishop had me cracking up when he said You can take online courses but you need someone who has been anointed to teach you...

Favorite line after all of the elected clergy had gotten their bibles, necklaces and collars: The gates of hell have been notified that new soldiers are on the way. 

Favorite thing about this church -- the bishop and his wife are a tag team. 


My aunt getting her vestment.


The bishop on a roll...Also, I think this would make a great painting...

*******

During the fish fry on Saturday one of my cousins, Katrina, told me that I've been around the world. I wish. It's interesting that she said that because I was just thinking about how few countries I've been to. Of course, I'm grateful for the traveling opportunities that I've had.

Just a few of the peeps at the fish fry.


Love my cousin's Hall of Fame/Family Tree...



No comments:

Post a Comment