Thursday, October 1, 2020

Balcony or Not

Didn't feel like doing anything for my birthday but one of my aunts kept pushing for a celebration of some fashion so a handful of us got together and spaced out. We had French onion soup, salad and other sides and I was having a good time until...

my iPod kept showing alerts and, damn, Ruth Bader Ginsburg is no more. My aunt is a retired nurse so, of course, she came from the underlying issues perspective and, as others have said, our democracy should not have to rely on one Supreme Court judge.

This aunt also likes to make collages. The one picture in particular that I kept staring at was my baby picture. Life is hard right now but I kept thinking that that baby has come a long way and has had a relatively safe journey...

So far, I've canceled two memberships and have taken my walking up a notch. When I walk now, though, I find myself looking at people with balconies, side porches and stand-alone sun porches. I find myself coveting these spaces and think about how nice it would be to sit on a balcony while reading. In my fantasy space, I also think about doing yoga. 

And, yoga... If I get to practice at night, I count my lucky stars because in my current role as caretaker, it doesn't always happen. So, in the end, I guess it doesn't matter if have a balcony or not...

Sent a birthday card to the yoga teacher that I went on the retreat with when 45 won the election. Knowing what I know now about teaching yoga, I thanked her for the class that she led the morning after. It was a difficult task and she was able to pull herself together even though there were several of us sobbing. 

She had also been thinking about that day in Negril and said that 45 turned out to be a million times worse than she'd imagined and she talked about her privilege in taking the stance that she did but I told her that he had also turned out worse than I'd expected...

Listened to The Good German episode of Gaslit Nation and Sarah Kendzior and Andrea Chalupa are not surprised, at all, about 45.

Kendzior was on point on when she said that autocracy and fascism ends badly for everyone except a few profiteers and earlier in the episode when she talks about the depth of heartlessness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment