Thursday, December 28, 2017

This Time of Year

Feel like I've been out of control but I'm giving myself big credit for the leaving the house last night at 7:40 p.m. and going to Zumba even though the temperature was in the teens.

I'm off my regular schedule but the world is off its regular schedule during the end of the year so I'm not alone. 

I've done a couple of Amazon Prime exercise videos, including Fitness Kickbox and Latin Zoom Cardio Workout. I enjoyed both but especially the latter. 

Went to yoga after work today and found it hard to settle down because it was cold in the studio and I had been cold all day at work but I just kept a blanket around me and finally relaxed. The teacher, who's really on maternity leave, subbed for the regular teacher. I loved her yoga-talk about embracing choices during practice. She was essentially saying modify poses if you need to. She also talked about not putting so much New Year pressure on ourselves and to think about adding elements to our lives as opposed to eliminating things. 

I also like what Sean Haleen had to say about this time of year...

This time every year, I'm bombarded by advertisements and posts that imply the "right" thing to do is work extra hard, diet, cleanse, etc., Especially within the context of Yoga, this communicates to people the fruits of our practice become attainable through punishing ourselves for the past few weeks of indulgence. This also reinforces that "harder" is naturally better for us. I used to live for punishment and it lead me down a hard road of addiction and starvation. One message I can't repeat enough from experiencing this, is that if you beat yourself up, all you'll feel in the end, is beaten up. This is what drew my so strongly to the teachings of the Buddha many years ago. Neither lavishing yourself nor depleting yourself leads to fulfillment and we often ricochet from one to the other. Teachers, practitioners, yogis, remember that using Yoga to punish yourself doesn't lend itself to self-realization, it formalizes the bond we have with seeing our bodies as "wrong" "unworthy" or "needing to change." Let yourself feel full, nourished, and okay during this time where the pressures to make certain choices are inescapable. #yoga #yogateacher #yogamen #yogalove #yogalife #instayoga #stopdropandyoga #yogaeverywhere #yogaeverydamnday #downdog #yogatime
A post shared by Sean Haleen (@sarcasticyogateacher) on

The Travel Penguin's post about being organized made my Like List as well.

2 comments:

  1. One of the great things about having a blog is that I can double-check my feelings against reality. Sometimes when I feel like I've been "out of control" I can look back over the past couple weeks and see that the so-called control issue was just one day, or even just a couple hours of one day.

    "Neither lavishing yourself nor depleting yourself leads to fulfillment and we often ricochet from one to the other." TRUTH. So much to parse there.

    Wishing a wonderful, prosperous, fulfilling 2018 for you! Thank you for providing so much inspiration; you are such a touchstone and source of wisdom for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me feel all warm and fuzzy; thank you. 😊 Also, I feel similarly and I hope that you have a prosperous and stellar new year.

    ReplyDelete