Thursday, August 30, 2018

Inching Along

Tried to mow the lawn before I left for Vegas last month. And, wow, Vegas seemed like it happened eons ago... The mower would not start so I decided to use an on-demand mowing service. It worked three times.

On August 7th, a scheduled service date, it rained and the guy didn't come and he didn't come and he didn't come. Finally, I texted him to say that it was okay if he didn't want to mow the lawn anymore but to let me know. He assured me that he was interested, looked forward to my business...then nothing.

In the meantime, the grass continued to grow. I texted my brother who recommended a couple of things, including looking for troubleshooting tips for the brand that I have. It kept turning over but wouldn't stay on and I was so frustrated that I started crying.

At some point, my neighbor heard me trying to start the mower. This neighbor is good at fixing and building but I hadn't wanted to bother him because he had a health scare recently. Still, he told me that he'd check out the mower and that I could also borrow his.

Had today off so I called him at a respectable time. He put his foot on top of the lawnmower and it started immediately. I was gobsmacked. He said that, from listening, he didn't think much was wrong and he was also surprised by how long the cord is. He advised me to wait because the lawn was wet from yesterday's rain but I couldn't take the untidiness any longer. I tried to hack some of it down but where it was biggest, I just inched along. It took me a little over two hours because, of course, the mower stalled out because of the wet grass. I was so relieved, though, because I was on the verge of loading the mower in my car and taking it to a shop.

My yard, especially the back, was a proper jungle and, yet, I still didn't mention monkeys...




3 comments:

  1. Oh man, sorry about the mower. Happy ending, but what an ordeal. I can't imagine dealing with household issues without Hrodebert. He's good with most mechanical and electrical things, so we rarely have to call a repair shop or hire a contractor. On the other hand we have to spend a 3-day weekend putting in a water heater LOLOLOL.

    I like the Jamil Smith tweet. I have never in my entire life heard the phrase "monkey this up." Never. It was 100% racist, 100% intended to be racist. And personally I'm sick to death of the walkbacks and excuses. If you're a f***ing racist, just say so, just admit it. If your beliefs don't stand up to scrutiny, if you can't proudly say, "I believe this," then maybe you're not fit for public office. Or even to be around other human beings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also sorry I soapboxed in your comments

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: the time budget, there was a part of me that was relieved to have a task off my hands but I did feel like I was wasting money...

    No problem about the soapbox, I put the box out there. The walkbacks are so insincere and no one believes them anyway. I concur: it seems like some people should not be around other human beings.

    ReplyDelete