Monday, October 15, 2018

To This Point

Retreat Center Library
There was a retreat built-in to yoga teacher training and that happened this past weekend. There was the usual gnashing of teeth over what to pack. Along with regular stuff, my packing gear had to include a yoga mat, books and blocks.

For quite a while, I actually spaced out on the fact I would need to take a day off because I wouldn't be going to the studio on Friday but three hours away. 

Also knew right off the bat that it wouldn't be a retreat/retreat because we would still be engaged in teacher training activities.

What's the point of a retreat that's not a retreat? Bonding activity? I was also a little nervous about who I was going to room with. Stacy told us to see whose habits were similar and figure it out...

Three people volunteered to drive and we met near the yoga studio and set off for our destination that ultimately led us to a red dirt road. 

Our training days were longer since we had an abbreviated day on Sunday. We left at 3:45 p.m. and we normally get out at 7. 

It was a beautiful space that we trained and practiced in but it still felt weird to be in a different space for training. 

I worried about food and thought one of the employees, Michael, exaggerated when he talked about Naomi and Yumi's cooking skills. Michael did not lie. The food was super and even though the WiFi was weak, there were no TVs and the well water was cold, I wanted to stay -- just for the food.







I was not crazy about the thin walls and the claustrophobic dorm rooms. We had to keep the doors closed because of the heating system and about three people got hot showers over 2.5 days. One of the yoga teachers told me about some cold shower theory...

The trainees were given the task of conducting a restorative yoga class -- relay-style; Stacy commented that it felt like a seamless class and that her back even relaxed. We also practiced a Sun Salutation A blindfolded to experience withdrawal of the senses. It totally makes you slow down and be more thoughtful.

My view -- after I moved away from heat source. 
I was surprised to find out that one of my yoga mates has five cats. I quickly messaged (when I reached the dining hall) my former coworker who just adopted her fourth cat. Another yoga mate has four dogs. When I encounter such animal lovers, it always makes me think of my friend Lori who rescued many animals and it also makes me think of that person's compassion.

Retreat Center Cat
Overall, it was a good experience. We learned a lot and we learned more about each other and, together, we most certainly had a Snack Empire. My favorite snacks came from Kakao. One of my yoga peep's husband had given her treats to share with friends. She said it's something that he doesn't usually do and it was an olive branch of sorts. Either way, I'm glad that he did...

I am officially at the halfway mark of yoga teacher training. Wasn't so sure that I would make it to this point.



2 comments:

  1. I would totally stay for the food.

    It sounds like it was a mixed experience, if only because the facility was kind of primitive. It's probably good to rough it once in a while - I always come away with new perspectives when we go camping.

    Congratulations on halfway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and, yes, I think it's good to rough it once in a while. I had renewed appreciation for some "small" things.

    I was also proud of myself for not acting like a fool when I had access to the WiFi in the dining hall.

    ReplyDelete