Sunday, April 8, 2018

Deep Breaths

There was a trauma-informed workshop at my job last week and I'm still thinking about several things, including the exercise that highlighted possible elements that might affect people who are living in poverty.

One of the presenters asked for two volunteers then she asked the audience about things that might affect someone living in poverty. As we gave answers she threw soft, stress balls at the volunteers that they were supposed to catch and hold; if they dropped a ball, they were supposed to pick it up. It was a very effective exercise -- especially since one of the volunteers was very good at catching and holding and the other volunteer's balls kept getting away from her and even rolling in wild directions.

I'm also thinking about several of the handouts. My favorite was the 99 Coping Skills. I also like the Ways of Grounding handout...and how one of the presenters said that if you're in a challenging situation, take three deep breaths...


On the way to Zumba last week, I saw that the water tower was going to be open for the full moon and I decided to go because I've lived in St. Louis for a long time and I've never gone to check out the water tower.

One of the views from the tower.
Asked my cousin if she wanted to go and tour the Magic Chef Mansion (MCM) -- also another landmark that I'd never been to. As I waited for my cousin, I saw these two women looking at woodpeckers and they stayed long enough for me to get a picture.


It's amazing to me that several families had so much money that they could build houses and go to Europe for, say, a year while the houses were being built. The woman who bought MCM stumbled upon a great venture. She bought the house, renovated it and now it's open for tours and rentals. She also has merchandise for sell and you are able to buy wine or beer while touring the house. It's cool that her home is her business.






No comments:

Post a Comment