Saturday, April 14, 2018

Stomping Ground

Alison reached out to me on Friday to see if I wanted to go to a soap making class. It was a 4.5-hour commitment with an early start time but Alison had been asking me about going somewhere so I said "yes" even though I felt like I was shirking my duties.

The reason that soap making takes such a long time is waiting for the lye to cool. I straight up did not know that, once activated, lye gets so hot. 

The instructor, Rebecca, told us that we would be working with three ingredients: lye, lard and color. We also added essential oil. My group let me choose and I went with lavender and rosemary. 

Photo Credit: Alison...That raccoon though...

As Rebecca talked about buffalo, pig and deer fat, I wondered about vegans and vegetarians... Told Alison that I'm grateful for all of the people who discovered things by accident or by trial and error. 

We spent the smallest portion and last part of class making lotion bars. Had I know about the workshop, I would not have purchased the lotion bar that I have in my possession.

I love lotion bars and I'll definitely make some but I won't be making soap. Having said that, props to the Soap Queen. We watched some of her videos in class.

During our break, I went for a short walk and ran into one of my former coworkers who wanted to know if I was still there. His wife, who I had never met before, said She's a lifer. We chuckled and talked a bit. The place that I work at is very interesting in that many current and former coworkers keep up with each other. 


No Mushroom Harvesting!
The soap workshop took place at a conservation place. There are three short trails and two of them have different degrees of steepness. I felt like I was home again as I used to walk there when I first started my weight loss efforts.

Love this picture from last ??? year's contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment