Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Except They Go Backwards

Yesterday I went to a sound meditation instead of Zumba. It was a tough decision but the sound meditation event is only once a month and when it was over with, I made a silent vow to go to the next one which will be the last session before summer.

The meditation is 75 minutes but usually feels like 20; I slept well afterwards. Monday had been so intense that sound therapy just seemed like the right thing to do.

I was tempted to go to Zumba today but had to remind myself that it's not a very good experience trying to make it to a 5:30 p.m. class so I went swimming.

There's been a young boy taking lessons and I listened in.

Pretend that your legs don't bend; you want to keep your legs straight.

The arms are the same for the backstroke as they are for freestyle -- except they go backwards. 

Okay, I know some of these techniques but it never hurts to be reminded. When I saw the dive rings poolside, it made me think of Katy Bowman and it totally made me want to play with them.

I loooove swimming--grew up doing hours of it daily. I swam in the ocean and a very small community pool, and despite being on the swim team in high school, doing the same stroke over and over again isn't how I feel connected to water. Instead I prefer to swim in wild water, where the temperature, flow rate, shape and surrounding terrain dictates how I need to move through it. I like my strokes being a response to something. I like my strokes to constantly change. I still love pools but what I naturally do in them is swim along the bottoms, dive to the bottom over and over again--throw things to have to scout to find them. That's how I introduce variability into my swim time--how I use many strokes, many different body parts, while in the medium of water. That's how I swam as a kid and how I still swim today! #moveyourdna #alignmentmatters #springbreak #californiavibes❤️💦💪🏾👣
A post shared by Katy Bowman (@nutritiousmovement) on

No comments:

Post a Comment