Saturday, March 31, 2018

People Of A Certain Type


Noticed a Qigong workshop being offered at a studio; it sounded interesting but I wondered if I really needed to go to every workshop that sparks my interest -- especially in the middle of a Saturday from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and on Easter Eve no less. 

I also get shy about going to unfamiliar places with unfamiliar people -- by myself. Deep down, though, I know that people who are seeking these type of workshops are people of a certain type. 

What sealed the deal is when the owner of the studio in question followed me, out of the blue, on my yoga Instagram account. For me, that was a sign that I should go.

When I looked at my visit history, I was surprised that the one and only time that I'd been to the studio was in Dec. of 2014 for a Winter Solstice celebration; it reminded me of something that Sharon Salzberg said in her recent talk with George Mumford about when she signs up for something on a website and scrolls down to her birth year -- she is gobsmacked that she needs to keep scrolling to get to the year like How did this age happen?

At any rate, the workshop was called Eliminating Worry with Spleen Qigong. About midway through participant introductions the facilitator, Valerie, said I haven't heard anybody mention worry

Worry is like a given, though, right?

Our first item on the agenda was a standing meditation and, I kid you not, Valerie starting talking about how if you were in China and went to the doctor, they'd prescribe bitter herbs and Qigong then she went on to say that we eat too much sugar and I felt like she was talking directly to me because I am out of control right now. 

You'll hear a lot of healers talk about stuck energy. My lower back has been talking to me for about three weeks now and after today's workshop, it felt better. Stuck energy?

Favorite line from the workshop:

"They're all energy systems and they (Yoga, Qigong, Reiki, Tai Chi) work."



No comments:

Post a Comment