Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Practicing

Today's Classroom
Because of yoga teacher training, I didn't have a whole lot of time to prepare for today's yoga class.

Skipped swimming yesterday, wrote a sequence then practiced it.

Practicing a sequence totally makes a difference as it allows you to see where the gaps are as far as transitions and it also allows you to see how much time the sequence is going to take and, ultimately, if the sequence is safe and makes sense.

As a trainee, there is the urge to rush through teaching but that's the opposite of what you should be doing and, as Stacy says, you also have to respect the silences.

The anatomy of sequencing made more sense to me despite having less time to write it. I intuited what pose would come next and I didn't use every pose when I taught but Stacy also told us to be okay with not using everything that we've written and, overall, it's better to have too much than not enough.

Went to Zumba today and the teacher forgot steps in several songs and that was a sign for me that stuff happens.

I've been enjoying playing my singing bowls through savasana. Felt more confident about that today too. It’s amazing what happens when you’re patient and mindful. Was glad that I set a silent alarm on my Fitbit as I'd forgotten to disable the lock screen on my iPod and, therefore, couldn't see what time it was. As a general rule, I don't want to fidget with an electronic item while trying to teach. I read, somewhere, that gadgets, especially a phone, is a reminder of busyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment