Wednesday, April 17, 2019

On The Fly

Had an exercise date last night. Jessica and I went swimming and, since I hadn't been in months, I was looking forward to it. My abs were on fire afterwards; I don't usually have that experience. It made me think of the book that I just read and how Sanford talked about not being able to use his abs...

Thankfully, I only experienced mild, post-pool congestion. My sleep was disturbed but not totally.

Work has been hellacious. I'm still teaching a yoga class once a week at work and it's a great lesson as far as digging deep enough to, at least, not have a tense face and energy.

It's so weird. People who sign up for yoga don't come and the people who tell me that they don't think they'll be able to make it, show up. One of my colleagues who has never been to a class thanks me, constantly, for holding the class. She says that maybe after she finishes with obligations, including a choir one, that she might be able to attend. Had three people in attendance today and one told me that she might get a work-related call that she would have to answer.

I usually try to write sequences on Saturday and practice them at some point before Wednesday and I also do whatever tweaking that's necessary. That sequence went out the window in about eight minutes. One attendee had back pain and the other was really tired so we got on our backs before we hit the 10-minute mark.

One said I'm sure that's not what you had in mind...

I've had several of my yoga teachers say that students will be your greatest teachers. It's a bit scary, as a new teacher, doing a class on the fly but I made it work. Just wish that I could have remembered more poses that ease back pain. I was also trying to think of poses that I could have done with the child while the adults had their restorative time...

It was also interesting that the person who was experiencing back pain said one of the singing bowls made her back tense up. She hasn't said anything about that before. Wonder which bowl and note it was...

Went by the library then came home to eat after work and, not too long after that, I went to get gasoline for the lawn mower. Even though I wasn't looking forward to mowing the lawn, I'm thankful that it turned over right away.

Took a stroll through Tower Grove Park as I was still in desperate need of decompressing. The park has done such a beautiful job with the tulips and it was nice to see so many people out admiring the flowers.



2 comments:

  1. Finally spring! I couldn't believe you had snow a week ago. Although actually we had a really cold day like that here, and there were flurries a few miles west.

    Really enjoy reading about your yoga adventures. I like the point about students being your best teachers. When I've taught (not yoga!) my preconceptions about what students wanted or needed were often a stumbling block. If I had it to do over, I would put more effort into "meeting them where they are." Will keep that in mind if I ever teach anyone again.

    P.S. thanks for the suggestion to do bed yoga. It's a perfect transition to starting the day, and I don't avoid it because I don't feel like lying down on the floor. I'm already lying down lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should properly thank my coworkers because I’ve definitely learned valuable yoga lessons from them.

    Re: the bed yoga suggestion, you’re welcome; glad you’ve been able to incorporate a.m. yoga. 😊

    ReplyDelete