Saturday, March 30, 2019

Not As Zen Either

I'm reading so many yoga books that it's hard to remember what yoga gems come from where but I'm going to find a binder around the house and keep the treasures centralized. I would put them in my yoga teacher training manual but it's already pretty full...

Taught a yoga class to two people at work on Wednesday. The first person who showed up said that if she was the only one that I didn't have to hold the class and I said that I would absolutely hold it.

I used to have similar thoughts when I showed up to a class and, as it got closer to start time, it was apparent that I might be the only one in attendance and I would think about offering the teacher the same deal. Doing a one-on-one doesn't seem awkward anymore and maybe it's because I had to do a one-on-one with my trainer in order to graduate or maybe it's because a yoga teacher friend said that she's learned some of her greatest lessons when only one student showed up.

Also, maybe the only person who shows up really needs yoga that day...

At any rate, I felt like it was a good class. It definitely was a reminder to be more mindful. For instance, I usually put my iPad on airplane mode while playing music but I forgot yesterday. Luckily, it didn't beep until the very end of class. I will say that something unexpected came up before class and I'm sure it won't be the last time. So, I need to expand my yoga checklist and make sure that I eyeball it before class no matter what.

The strings on my pants also hit the singing bowls while I played during savasana and, to me, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. Okay, not that harsh but definitely not as zen either. Although, I did note that both of my students lingered after the "official" end of savasana which I will attribute to the magic of the singing bowls.

After class ended, one of my coworkers said that we should be allowed to have a yoga break every day and that it would definitely help with productivity. I would love to slip in a brief, weekly sound meditation. Maybe it could be called Sound Meditation Refresher...

2 comments:

  1. Not exactly related to the singing bowls, but something you might like:
    http://www.openculture.com/2019/04/tibetan-musical-notation-is-beautiful.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the article.

    Believe it or not, I got to see the Alash Ensemble. :) https://www.stlmag.com/events/music-across-borders-alash-ensemble/

    ReplyDelete