Monday, December 27, 2010

Holding The Third Eye

I laughed at myself when I got hiccups and started looking for one of the acupressure books that I have around. Acupressure has become My Big Fat Greek Wedding Windex.

Of all the acupressure books that I have around, I've been enjoying Michael Reed Gach's book of late.

As acupressure evolved, each of the 365 points was named poetically, originally with a Chinese character. The imagery of its name offers insight into either a point's benefits or location. For instance, the name Hidden Clarity refers to the mental benefit of the point: It clears the mind...The Three Mile Point earned its name because it gives a person an extra three miles of energy...(6)
And who can disagree with this observation?

Breathing is the most profoundly effective tool known for purifying and revitalizing the body. (11)
I think my favorite named acupressure point, so far, is Letting Go.

Depressed? Acupressure's got you covered -- plus a few tips from the author for dealing with depression:

  • Aerobic Exercise

  • Take a Stimulating Shower

  • Deep Breathing Exercises

  • Moving and Breathing Meditation
  • Gach believes that the following elements are essential for personal fulfillment which thwarts depression:

  • Self-Love

  • Mutual Relationships

  • Meaningful Work

  • Goals and Visions for the Future
  • Diet is also discussed throughout the book and I can always use a reminder because, while I've tamed the sugar beast to a certain extent, I'm still addicted to processed foods:

    Diet also plays an important role in building resistance to illness. When we eat processed, preserved, or devitalized foods, we weaken our immune system and our resistance because these foods have been stripped of necessary nutrients and fiber. (118)
    More on diet:

    If you have difficulty concentrating or want to improve your memory, you should stop eating foods that are high in sugar...Eating a lot of sugar also strains the pancreas, which according to traditional Chinese medicine is damaging to your memory as well as your mental and emotional stability. (161)
    Another special reminder for me:

    Pain or tightness in the shoulder area often reflects a person's overall emotional and physical state. A stressful lifestyle, emotional strains, physical injuries, and fatigue can contribute to constriction and pain in the shoulders...

    The shoulders are the repository for much of our tension and stress...(197)
    One more point from Gach:
    Exercise naturally regulates and balances your whole system. (225)
    I'm hoping to acupressure my way out of my constrictions and, I have to say, that I'm still enjoying doing acupressure rituals for wellness.


    P.S. For my friend Hazira, here is information for insomnia.

    Stress, pain, grief, and anxiety can exacerbate sleeping disorders. Peace of mind is essential to falling asleep...According to traditional Chinese medicine, an uneven distribution of energy can also cause insomnia. (131)


    The Gates -- Not Bill and Melinda but:




    Inner Gate (P 6)

    Location: In the middle of the inner side of the forearm, two and one-half finger widths from the wrist crease.

    Benefits: Relieves insomnia and several other common complaints that can keep one from sleeping, such as anxiety, palpitations, nausea and indigestion.



    Spirit Gate (H 7)

    Location
    : On the inside of the wrist crease, in line with the little finger.

    Benefits: Relieves anxiety, cold sweats, and insomnia due to overexcitement.

    ***



    And my new favorite acupressure point...Third Eye (GV 24.5)

    Location: Directly between the eyebrows, in the indentation where the bridge of the nose meets the forehead.

    Benefits
    : Relaxes the central nervous system for relieving anxiety and insomnia. (133)

    And for real, how many times have you instinctively held your third eye?

    (Hmmm, don't know why eye one looks puffy...)

    2 comments:

    1. I always thought the 3rd eye was up farther. But it does make sense, as you're right, we usually do pinch that spot when we're stressed.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Angela,

      If I had drawing skills, I would have drawn a proper eye. :)

      And, yes, it's amazing how you instinctively do stuff -- like hold your third eye.

      ReplyDelete