Thursday, January 31, 2019

Shared Names

Got in my car on Wednesday and the thermostat quickly went from seven degrees to five to zero.

My particular office in an old building is not equipped to deal with a Polar Vortex. We put blankets in the window. People offered refuge in their offices. We got an additional space heater and promptly tripped a fuse. Dealt with what I needed to and did what else I needed to do from home and I'm so glad that I didn't try to be a martyr.


Zumba was also nixed as there was a little precipitation that came down and, given the low temps, it just wasn't a good idea to be on the road. 

In many ways, I've had the gift of time. I've read a book, refined yoga sequences, read yoga homework and given my knee more rest. The knee thing is kind of weird and it wouldn't pop as it sometimes does. About two weeks in, my knee popped twice last night which I took as a good sign but, again, it's weird. It doesn't really hurt but it's still wonky.

Also started a family tree. Actually, I had to work on one in school eons ago and that was helpful -- to a certain degree. It's a bit embarrassing that I barely know my grandparents' grandparents. Reached out to Chiquita and figured that she would be able to fill in the blanks about my paternal great, great grandparents. When I found out the name of my grandfather's grandmother, I was surprised that one of my aunts had been named after her and I also realized that we have many shared names on my father's side of the family. 

Learning my great, great grandmother's name was moving in a way that I can't totally explain right now. I've been chewing on it since Chiquita told me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment