Sunday, January 6, 2019

Well, Warm Up Then...

As I prepared for Zumba yesterday, went to retrieve my water bottle from the car and decided to see if my mother wanted to go to the Botanical Garden instead since we are having unseasonably warm weather. My mother enjoyed herself and quickly came up with one of her constituents (my word) that she can take on an outing to the Botanical Garden...

My favorite statue in the Linnean House surrounded by poinsettias. 
String beans?
Bells Chimes at MO Bot
Garden Glow Prop
A Caribbean Feel in the Climatron
Went to a yoga adjustment workshop after vising the garden. I was excited and terrified about the workshop but it turned out much better than I expected.

The whole yoga assist/adjustment thing is interesting because many teachers don't give adjustments anymore and most teachers only give them to students that they know very well and I can totally see why.

I like the advice of our workshop teacher, Kim. Don't give anyone any creepy, tentative assists and Stacy, our YTT trainer, has pretty much said the same thing. Their advice is to get consent, let them know what body part you'll be touching and do the assist firmly. You should also get student feedback and even when you don't get verbal feedback, you need to tune in to people's body language.

Overall, it was a great workshop with lots of good advice, including that if you don't feel called to give assists or don't feel comfortable doing it, you can totally opt out as it's not a necessary part of being a yoga teacher.

I also recalled what Stacy said about observing people practice yoga and how it's is an intimate experience. Kim asked me to get into Wide Legged Forward fold so that she could demonstrate an adjustment. I heard someone point out the position of my head and feet. One of my regular teachers came over to offer a block and experimented with putting it at different heights.

Head and Toes, not relaxing...
Kim said that she's noticed that even in savasana, the final relaxation pose, that people have a hard time letting go. As we continued to discuss, Stacy simply said It's a known issue.  All that to say, we are learning and looking at bodies and alignment and gets intimate. It totally felt like there was a hot, spotlight on me...

But it was so exciting when we talked about Pigeon pose and external and internal rotation. It was like an episode of CSI and also a reminder that none of us know all the answers.

Example of an adjustment...
At the beginning of the workshop, someone asked Kim if we were going to warm up and she asked us if we felt the need and, to someone's affirmative response, she said, Well, warm up then. Let's give it 10 minutes.  Kim is the opposite of pomp and circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment