Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Muscle Card

When I step on the scale in the morning, I think about a New Yorker cartoon that I read eons ago. I also think about The Biggest Loser weigh-ins.

You probably can't read the fine print but the cartoon caption says:

And, in this corner, weighing five pounds more than she'd like...
Weight loss, in my corner, has come to a screeching halt. The scale is doing its magic act again. I shook up my workout routine and I'm still counting calories etc. etc. but there's been no movement on the scale. My clothes do have some wiggle room but there's something more tangible about seeing the scale move south.

When I went to work today, one of my friends called me Olive Oyl. I shook my head no and she shook her head yes.

She told me that I had surely gained muscle and that I needed to pull out the measuring tape.

Muscle references make me laugh because a lot of people tend to pull the muscle card when they've gained weight. Nevertheless, I pulled out my fitness and nutrition journal from the National Body Challenge which contains the only measurements that I've ever taken and that was back in Jan. '08. The measurements have not changed much but I also remember having on workout clothes underneath my regular clothes when the Bally's guy took my measurements. So, the initial measurements are probably off.

Under body composition, my body fat was put down as 42.2% and my BMI was recorded as 38.4. If nothing else, my BMI is lower. I definitely have to keep the wiggle room in mind and be glad that I am, for the most part, maintaining and not gaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment