Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sister In The City

I used to think about what I would do for a Klondike bar. Now, it's what I'll do to get to an exercise facility.

The last time that I did some serious swimming was on Nov. 17th. The pool that I normally go to has structural damage and there's no telling when they'll open again.

So, what's a sister in the city to do? Well, she could go to the new city recreation center also known as the Carondelet Recreation Complex YMCA but they don't have daily passes. What about The Heights? The Heights only had one lap lane open tonight.

I hauled myself halfway across town to go to Riverchase which had lap swimming until 9 p.m. When I got to the reception area, the young lady asked me whether or not I wanted to use the gymnasium because it was unavailable. I tell her that I want to use the pool and she assures me that it's open.

When I hit the pool area, I see that there are three people taking a water aerobics class. One lane is open with an orange cone instructing swimmers to circle swim. No one else came until after the aerobics class ended and I had the sole lap lane to myself.

The water was cool at the end of the lanes and warm in the middle. I used to have problems sleeping and one tip was to alternately run warm and cool water over your feet. I should sleep well since I had the full body treatment of alternating water temperatures.

The locker room was chilly and as I slid my sockless feet into my shoes, I was hoping that I wouldn't get pneumonia in the @$$. That's what my grandmother used to say when she thought you were inappropriately dressed. You're going to get pneumonia in the @$$. I wasn't quite sure how that level of illness worked but I knew that I didn't want to be stricken with such an affliction...

Here's the moon over Riverchase:

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I even went swimming this year, during the summer. I think it was just too hot outside. Glad you found a place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicci,

    I'm glad that I found somewhere to go too since I find swimming so relaxing.

    You swim and play basketball. Now, I'm wondering what else is in your arsenal...

    ReplyDelete