Saturday, December 5, 2009

Rolling Out To Rock Climb

Whenever I'm about to embark on a rock climbing adventure, the self-talk begins:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make it up the dang wall.
I'm probably also chitchatting with myself because of the waiver which, in part, reads:

I acknowledge the inherent extreme risks in rock climbing activities...
Last night, I was looking on the web for information about the ATC device because, all of a sudden, I couldn't remember which side feeds the climber.


Thanks to Outdoor Action, I didn't have to wonder too long about my little dilemma.

Mission and risk in mind, I rolled out of bed to be at Upper Limits by 10 a.m. because that's when the doors open and the joint is usually jumping.

It's always such a diverse crowd at UL, including a baby who was tethered to a floor anchor. That baby is the calmest one in the universe. There were also several dads exhibiting the patience of Job while belaying for their daughters. I love to see fathers hanging out with their girls.

One father told his apprehensive daughter to, basically, feal the fear and do it anyway. Daddy's got you, he said.

While waiting on a route (because it was crowded), I witnessed a climber who looked as if he was doing yoga and, then, ballet on the wall. It was an exquisite ascent.

I was about to belay and forgot to secure the ATC in the carabiner and I was about to feel bad but, before I could, Patti said that's why we do safety checks.

After we had exhausted ourselves and there is a point when you simply cannot ascend the wall anymore, Patti asked Jeremy and me if we wanted to go out to lunch. Since it was 1 p.m., it was definitely time for lunch but the mention of eating out causes me to fret. Patti suggested Crazy Bowls and Wraps and I didn't think that their fare would do much harm.

I ate half of my Caesar Chicken Wrap without even looking at the nutrition information. I'm glad that I only ate half of the sandwich because a whole one sets you back 720 calories.


It must be the brown rice, right? I was happy to see that Crazy Bowls has baked falafel. Holler! Looking at the calorie count, I should have gotten the falafel but I didn't spot it until I had already ordered.

3 comments:

  1. I used to climb all the time. indoors and outdoors and, since the coming of the child :), havent much at all.

    I need to get back to the wall....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl...Welcome to the OurHealth movement!!!!!! ...so glad you became a follower of our blog. A few of us - through a great meetup group called Circle of Sisters in CT - went rock climbing a while back - for the first time! As you'll see on th epic, we clearly had no idea what we were doing. Check out the article: http://ourhealthmovement.blogspot.com/2009/11/circle-of-sisters-indoor-rock-climbing.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Miz, I haven't ventured outdoors yet. You should take the child climbing with you. I saw so many shorties, including the baby who was bouldering before he got tethered. :)

    @OurHealth, You all might not have known what you were doing but you look like you were having fun.

    ReplyDelete