Friday, July 9, 2010

The Little Bursts

I just finished Elizabeth Strout's Olive Kitteridge, thirteen stories that all involve Kitteridge, the main character. I really enjoyed the book and when I finished the last word, missed it and wanted more even though the ending, which I've read over and over, is just about as perfect as an ending can be.

The quote that follows resonated:


Olive's private view is that life depends on what she thinks of as "big bursts" and "little bursts." Big bursts are things like marriage or children, intimacies that keep you afloat, but these big bursts hold dangerous, unseen currents. Which is why you need the little bursts as well: a friendly clerk at Bradlee's, let's say, or the waitress at Dunkin' Donuts who knows how you like your coffee. Tricky business, really. (68-69)
A few of 'Drea's little bursts:





  • Having time to read and drink coffee before going to work.



  • Sitting by (or in) a body of water and reading.


  • Asking for what I want. (learned)


  • Being in the water and doing my version of swimming.
  • Making someone laugh.


  • What are your little bursts?

    2 comments:

    1. Yoga
      Singing along with my favorite songs
      Being with Bob

      ReplyDelete
    2. Angela,

      :o, I should have put singing on my list too. My yoga girl mug makes me think of you. ;)

      ReplyDelete