Sunday, July 18, 2010

First Things First: Breathe and Relax Your Arm

I promised myself that I would get massages often. Well, the last time that I had a massage was in October of 2009. Today is my friend Lori's birthday. I thought she might like a massage, I could get one too and we could spend relaxing time together.

Before my appointment, I did two 15-Minute circuits of Jackie Warner's Personal Training Circuit -- figured that I might as well add the Warner aftermath to the list of kinks that needed to be kneaded. My body just rains every time I do a Warner circuit. I need to do this workout way more often -- to keep myself in check.

An hour and a half later, I arrived at the spa and when the massage therapist got ready to start, she told me to take a deep breath. I tapped into my yoga thing, she did a centering ritual of sorts and the decompressing began.

There were several times when I thought I just might cry. Guess I must be storing something but I guess we are all storing one thing or another.

The only thing that was uncomfortable about the massage was the attention to the feet. Having my feet touched is almost unbearable and I was hoping that reflexes would not get the better of me.

I was also told to relax my arm which is not the first time that's happened. It's ironic because I'm certainly not trying to help by holding it up -- just general tension I guess...

When I first got my car, my CD player went on the fritz. I immediately made an appointment to get it fixed. One of my colleagues said, What dedication to self-care. Those words are never far from my mind and I'm going to get a whole lot better at that activity. I work out hard and, dang it, I'm going to play hard.

I smelly all woodsy like tea tree oil but in a lavender kind of way and I'm digging it.

I thought this article about spas in Afghanistan was pretty intriguing.

In what ways have you shown that you're dedicated to taking care of yourself?


P.S. I'm semi-unplugged as I have a stupid virus on my home computer. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh my favorite part of a body massage, is the foot massage!
    I gave my husband his first foot massage ever before we were engaged. He was speechless. I think it was the next day he proposed! ha!
    Anyway, i prove my dedication to taking care of myself everyday by eating non-food intolerance foods and taking "heather" time, to just chill.
    Hope your computer gets better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a massage. I always thought I'd be too self-conscious. I love sitting on my porch with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Heather,

    I would not let you come anywhere near my feet but it sounds like you have skills. ;)

    You definitely have to take care of yourself; glad you're setting aside that time.

    I'm also hoping that my computer is better soon. It's been *interesting* being semi-unplugged...


    @Diane,

    Before I lost the weight, I would not have dreamed of getting a massage which is why I'm going to make up for lost time. :)

    I like unwinding with a cup of coffee too. And if I have something to read as well? Nirvana...

    ReplyDelete