Monday, February 22, 2016

All The Air

Realized yesterday how my body kind of shuts down on Sunday. I don't really want to do anything but not doing anything doesn't\didn't feel quite right so I went to yoga, walked, cooked and I also went to visit two of my aunts.

Had an interesting conversation with my aunt Girt about "the village." I won't go into a lot of detail but if it takes a village to raise a child, it also takes a village to take care of elders...

We did the usual "How was your weekend?" at work and the intern in our department said that she'd been able to go home using airline miles. My colleague said something like I'm sure that your mom and dad were glad to see you.

Actually, she said, My mom died a year ago. She battled breast cancer for three years. It felt like  someone sucked all the air out of the room. The intern is 22 -- too young to be without her mother. I know, people much younger have lost parents but still.

I remember either listening to or reading an interview that someone conducted with Sapphire and she talked about how, by ten, a parent is able to infuse a lot of love into a child. But still...

When I heard our intern say that her mother had died, it was just confirmation, again, to do what you want and seize the moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment