Thursday, October 29, 2009

For Pizza, For Cheesecake

Nice article, What the Last Meal Taught Him, in the New York Times about reconciliation and loving kindness. Thomas Keller is a chef whose father left the family when he was five years old. I don't know how many people would be able to connect with a parent after such an act. One needs to look no further than another article in the NYT, When Parents Are Too Toxic to Tolerate, to know that some peace accords are never agreed upon.

Kim Severson's article on the Kellers got me to thinking about food memories. For goodness' sake, I used to bake tea cake cookies for my teachers.

No doubt, my reflection was enhanced by a never ending quest to get organized. I found a folder full of directions since I seldom throw away things that I feel can be reused.

I found directions to so many restaurants, including:

Bristol Bar & Grill, 1108 Olive Street Rd.

House of India, 8501 Delmar Blvd.

Frank and Helen's Pizzeria, 8111 Olive Blvd.
I also found a brochure for the annual Labor Day Greek Festival that I trekked to with friends specifically for the purpose of getting baklava, spanakopita and kourabiedes.

And one of my most memorable meals happened four years ago at the periphery of Weldon Springs Clark Trail. A group of about eight of us went hiking with the intent of doing the 5.3 mile trail but we ended up going so much further. We were unanimously famished upon emerging from the woods which made us collapse on the parking lot and pounce on a collective bounty of sandwiches, Skittles and chips. I remember how sparse conversation was but we ate well. Plus, there was a sense of accomplishment and gratitude.

I also detected this gem in my folder.


These are directions from Newark to Brooklyn where delicious pizza (from some defunct stand) and cheesecake from Junior's Cheesecake could be had. I was determined to get the goods even if I had to navigate the NYC subway system. I had no problem finding my way because my friend, Martene, had written perfect directions plus a 1-800 number to call her -- just in case I got lost.

I hope that everyone has access to good friends and good food -- frequently and at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment