Friday, October 15, 2010

Rx for The Chronically Tense

I don't even remember where I got this flyer from and waffled about whether or not I wanted to go but I'm so glad that I went.

Pressure Point Defined:

Pressure = Stress
Point = Position Location
The workshop was in Dr. Dusty's office and there were about eight folks there, including four who were already clients of Dr. Dusty. Can you tell that I like to write -- Dr. Dusty?

Dr. Dusty had a little slide show situation, told us who discovered pressure points, that soda is bad news and how western medicine treats sickness instead of concentrating on preventive care etc. etc.

From there, it was a hands-on workshop and I have to say that there is a new 'Drea because I would not have been comfortable before touching a stranger's body and being touched by someone else that I didn't know. We broke off into the proverbial pairs to try our hands at pressure points and were shown points for low energy, headaches, sinus/congestion and carpal tunnel issues.

I think my favorite pressure points where for headache and neck tension where you put pressure one inch to either side of the spine. You hold the pressure for about 10 to 15 seconds. The pressure on the neck felt incredibly good. And do I really need to say anything about the attention to the back? I almost melted...

I don't remember all of the finer points so I ordered a few books from the library but even without books, I've practiced on a few folks and one said that she felt relief from her headache.

With carpal tunnel symptoms, you can easily treat yourself but Dr. Dusty said that it's better if you have someone else do it for you which echoes what Healing Touch practitioners Kimberly Gray and Vicky Slater said in their podcast: Hands in motion (energy work) is more powerful when you have someone else do it.

Oh yeah, Dr. Dusty demonstrated on me at one point.

Dr. Dusty: Oh, you're tight.
Me: Yes, I know. Even when I'm not tightly wound, I'm tightly wound.
Ever had acupressure before? What's your Rx for stress?


P.S. To Dr. Dusty et al., when you tell someone that their tension is "unprecedented," that doesn't foster a relaxed state. Just saying...Also, to use a Phoebe Buffay phrase, Dr. Dusty is freakishly strong. Hands of steel, I tell ya.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting- I gotta check all of this out! Thanks! :) Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ,

    If I find a longer class or workshop, I'm so taking it.

    Hope you're having a great weekend too.

    ReplyDelete