Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Ice Capades

On Jan. 31st, St. Louis was preparing for #SnOMG -- as it became known on Twitter but before the snow, there was ice and the city was at a standstill which was a thing of beauty, I tell ya.

We didn't quite get #SnOMG but we got ice with staying power and a special brand of snow that had an unprecedented amount of people stuck in it. But the ice? It glistened.

Roads less traveled have been treacherous. People have been walking in the middle of streets and just, all in all, treading carefully.




Although I was extra-careful, I lost traction when I left the library yesterday and my left knee smacked into the ice activating my tear ducts. My exercise life flashed before my eyes.

The knee is a little sore but I can put weight on it. I tested it out immediately by exercising when I got home (smart, I know) then I soaked in my favorite salt, Epsom. I exercised again today and there's still a trace of soreness but, overall, I feel lucky that I didn't fracture anything because I would be beside myself if I couldn't exercise. I'm so going to enjoy the 50's this weekend and, you know, being able to walk around relatively pain-free.


5 comments:

  1. @Angela,

    Whenever you call me Pookie, that's a guaranteed lifter of spirits etc. :)


    @gingersnapper,

    Ice, 1. Drea, 0. Hopefully, today marks the end of the ice games...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "activated my tear ducts". that is hysterical! now i know 'drea doesn't cry...her tear ducts get activated ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,

    Ha, ha. That reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when Jerry's girlfriend accuses him of having no emotions but, once he gets in touch with his feelings, it's really on. He's like, "What's this salty discharge coming out of my eyes?"

    It was weird. I wasn't crying (not that there's anything wrong with that -- another Seinfeldism) but it's like the feedback you get when you touch something hot; the brain immediately lets you know to remove that body part from the heat source. My brain was letting me know that that was a spectacular collision between my knee and the ice.

    ReplyDelete