Saturday, July 19, 2014

Further Down The Road

The New One
As I made my pre-bicycling smoothie, started singing How Can You Mend a Broken Heart? out of nowhere and it stuck in my head for quite a while. My heart didn't feel broken but maybe it broke sometime in the middle of what felt like a rather long week...

A bunch of parks and recreation folks reminded me of a chain gang and I started singing a very off-key version of Chain of Fools. Also sang Home on the Range and Happy. Poor Alison had to listen to me sing.

Alison and I decided to tackle the entire Riverfront Trail since we both felt really good. After bicycling on the Chain of Rocks Bridge, I'll round it up to a nice even tally of 22 miles...

Finally tackled something on my to-do list. It dawned on me that I have a man's bike with a seat made for, surprise, a man. The bike felt right and still feels right except for the seat (past tense).

Could have saved myself money if I had purchased a woman's bike but you know what they say about hindsight.

Picked up my bike at lunch yesterday, headed to the shop after work and consulted with a tech. My favorite part of this visit was the tech's rather involved explanation of why my brakes are making noise. At any rate, my ride was much more comfortable today but the real test will be my assessment of the situation tomorrow and, further down the road, the challenge of back-to-back rides.

Reward for Going Uphill

Cakeway to the West, Happy 250 STL
Bicycling on  Chain of Rocks Bridge
Arch's Reflection

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I'm saying this, because I lurve Al Green, but I think I like the Bee Gees version better!

    My favorite Al Green is Let's Stay Together. Hrodebert and I don't exactly "have a song" the way a lot of couples do, but there are two significant songs that always make us look at each other with that sappy expression. That's one, and also "96 Degrees in the Shade" because that's what was playing the moment we moved from friends to being in love. At our wedding, the DJ was supposed to play that as the first song, and he had forgotten the album! Oh well we managed anyway; that was 31 years ago so I guess it didn't jinx us too badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say that the version of Al Green's song that went through my head was not the one on YouTube. Also, didn't know that the Bee Gees had a version.

    Your "not" songs are cool. Glad that the DJ didn't jinx you all and congrats on 31...

    ReplyDelete