Saturday, March 19, 2016

In Pursuit of Baked Falafel

Got home after midnight and got to sleep after 1:00 a.m. Woke up around 6 a.m. then went back to sleep. Willed myself out of bed at 10, headed to Zumba and then, after Zumba, met with Rosie and her little pumpkin for lunch. It's kind of funny that I've been to Frida's three times but I've only eaten there once. The first time that I went they were on spring break and I didn't know it and the next time Rosie and I didn't realize that they were closed on Sundays.

Baked falafel for me...
Rosie & "Pumpkin"
After lunch risked going to Whole Foods during the middle of the day because I thought, for sure, they would have Napa cabbage, wrong, and the bok choy looked pitiful. Headed home and had a much needed cup of coffee...

Finally installed the refurbished Chromecast that I bought. Love it. Went to the international store close to me and found Napa cabbage and short bok choy.


For the self-care portion of the program, took a bath and finished reading The House of Tomorrow.

My laugh of the day came from Jessamyn Stanley, a self-described Fat Femme Yogi.

Jessamyn can be a little too ranty for me but she hit the nail on the head with her "Fat people for the fucking win" today.


Also thought what she said about bodies in the post below is poignant.

I'm not sure there's a way to express how much this photo means to me. Here's the thing- I can't tell you how many bigger bodied people say they can't practice #inversions bc of their body weight. And they see someone like my boo @eunseongyoga & they're like "Yeaaaah yoga might be for that girl but it's DEFINITELY not for me." But even when we don't think our bodies like alike, THEY ACTUALLY LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. I mean, Eun Seong & I look essentially the same in this photo. Sure, different haircuts/body types/skin tones, but still- we're at an anatomical meeting point. And as a society we go much further when we celebrate our similarities rather than obsessing over our differences. That's probably the most important thing I'll take away from being in Dubai. In America, we're taught to think that we're the best and everyone else is beneath us. You can dress it up however you want, but that's the reality. And the main thing I keep noticing over and over again is that all humans are exactly the fucking same. All of us- every single one. And the problems start when we see ourselves as being different from one another.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure @eunseongyoga (& maybe you, too) is looking at this caption like "....DA FUCK IS THIS BITCH TALKIN' ABOUT WE WERE JUST DOIN HEADSTANDS, CHILL OUT." But check it out- traveling is cool, and yoga is rad as fuck, but none of it means shit if we're not gonna attempt to see the bigger picture. In my opinion, all of this is absolutely worthless otherwise. 💯 Also, #poc practicing yoga is essentially all I need in this world. 🙏🏾🙏🏾 Leggings- @mandukayoga
A photo posted by Jessamyn (@mynameisjessamyn) on

2 comments:

  1. "and as a society we go much further when we celebrate our similarities rather than obsessing over our differences"

    So much true. Maybe someday we'll really be able to celebrate the differences, but in the meantime this is a good place to start.

    Your weekend sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessamyn's words. Your words. Ugh, Brussels...

    ReplyDelete