Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Box and The Buddha

Patti alerts me about the time of the St. Patrick's Day Run and Parade. I leave the house early but I still get stuck in logjam after logjam. The rock climbing gym has a nice parking lot but I cannot get to it because street after street is blocked off.

I come very close to turning around and going home but I finally park in a spot that I'm not entirely sure is legal and I make my way through the crowd and hike to Upper Limits. Well, I wanted to walk after rock climbing but the order got reversed.

I'm thirty minutes late but I see Jessica go into the door right before me. I'm annoyed and Jessica wants to know what my anger alert level is. Orange and red are running neck and neck.

The good part: there are not a lot of climbers in the gym.

I climb Jack and the Bean Stalk and the part that has always given me trouble, doesn't. I climb The End of 2010 and I make it further up than last time -- before I need to ask for a take.

Jessica: Where to?

Me: I can't believe that I'm saying this but Pandora's Box.

Jessica: You're saying that because you know what kind of climbing day you're having.
I have my left foot on the Notorious B-O-X -- the crux of the route that has been stumping me big time.


One hand on the box and one hand on the hold that we refer to as The Buddha



Stepping on The Buddha hold as I make my way to the top

After climbing, we go to Sweet Art. As we get to the counter, the guy says I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the kitchen is closed and I feel myself turning sour again; there is nothing on the bulletin board, door or website about when the kitchen closes. I thought you had new, extended hours. We do but the kitchen closes at 3:30, he says. I look up at the clock which says 3. Finally, this lady says that she will hook us up with Sweet Burgers (i.e. veggie burgers).

We get our Sweet Burgers in no time. They are warm and delicious.

Patti: You need to climb angry more often.

Me: Will you make me angry next time we climb?

Patti: No problem...

St. Patrick's Parade Route Tally:

  • Rumpelstiltskin, 5.6

  • Jurassic 5, 5.7

  • Let Me Smang It Girl, 5.8

  • The Letter Eye, 5.8

  • Jack and the Bean Stalk, 5.9

  • Pandora's Box, 5.9

  • The End of 2010, 5.9

  • Rodeo Clowns, 5.9



  • On the alert scale, hope that you're having a green day.

    2 comments:

    1. It's good to fuel anger toward something constructive.

      Every time I've demanded and gotten a promotion or raise, I was fueled by hormonal anger. Beware, men!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'll have to remember to use my superpower more often. :)

      ReplyDelete