Saturday, June 27, 2015

Good Notes and Roads

The Road To The Zoo/Forest Park
The morning started on a good note and I was set to meet Alison at Forest Park for a walk when I made a rookie mistake.

Decided to take the highway instead of traveling through the streets and it cost me 40 minutes. Felt bad for Alison who could have walked three miles by the time I arrived. It was frustrating as I was only about a fourth of a mile away and you could see the situation devolve. This passenger in the car in front of me kept getting out and dropping "F" bombs. The lanes collapsed and, as I finally made progress toward exit, a cop on a horse arrived but he definitely needed back-up.

Managed to shake off my frustration  and we walked the 6.29 trail and we have the aching feet to prove it.

The traffic jam definitely made me have sympathy for people who commute long distances...

Road to Jewel Box, Forest Park
I've been getting rid of old magazines and, of course, I have to re-read some.  Didn't remember the article about Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings* and it was interesting to find out that she used to be a corrections officer because she didn't think it was realistic to pursue a music career being one of six kids raised by one parent.

Once Jones decided to pursue a career in music, she was told that she was "too fat, too short and too black." Ouch.

Tried to find the O: The Oprah Magazine article only to find that Jones battled pancreatic cancer...

Was on Twitter last night and came across this compelling photo and it reminds me of those Coretta Scott-King, Myrlie Evers, Betty Shabazz funeral photos.


*Totally know that this is one of Gingerzingi's favorite groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment