Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Out of Synch and Sluggish

I checked my voicemail again to see if we would have a delayed start time at work or something even better -- a day off. Well, it didn't happen. So, after oatmeal and coffee, I headed out to shovel more snow off the sidewalk and to go at my car with a broom since there was too much snow for a regular snow brush. I don't know why I ever joined a fitness club because all one really needs is a shovel in the winter, a rake in the fall and a lawn mower in the summer. I felt like I had quite the workout and I hadn't even traveled anywhere.

I haven't had to maneuver my car out of the snow in quite awhile. The snow plow barreled down the street and just packed my little car in.

While I was making a path in the snow, I felt a presence at my feet. A little white frou-frou dog had joined me. Once I spotted him, he took off although he did come back many times. "Frou-Frou" was so freakin' cute and he looked like he was having the time of his life frolicking through the snow but I wondered about his brains when he went and sat down in the middle of the street. Lucky for him, it was a snow day and the little traffic on the road was moving slow.

I checked to see if The "Wreck" Center might be on a snow schedule but they weren't so I headed off to swim after work. Nick wanted to know what I was doing there with six inches of snow on the ground. It was just Nick and me and with him in his wooden, green lifeguard chair with his red rescue board, Someone to Watch Over Me started going through my head.

Nick was definitely in a better mood today because he was singing nonstop. I think he might have been happy because he earned some extra money clearing off sidewalks and such.

About six laps into my workout, the front crawler appeared. I have never seen her resort to any other stroke. Why would she though? She looks so at ease doing the front crawl. Of course, I am captivated because it's the stroke that eludes me.

In general, I struggled today. I felt out of synch. And, now, I feel sluggish. I'm hoping that I'll get my groove back any moment now. Chapter 17 in Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster and Easier is titled Your Friends Are Waiting ("Whom Can I Swim With? And Where?"). It's such a good question. I almost feel like if my partner-in-crime had been present, swimming might not have felt like such a task.

No comments:

Post a Comment