Monday, February 16, 2009

Sunday's Menu

Sometimes I think that my grandmother missed her calling as a journalist or meteorologist or, in yesterday's case, a waitress since she was rattling off the menu specials of fried chicken and okra, sweet potatoes, cornbread, greens and blackberry cobbler.

Now, my aunt does the bulk of the cooking and she usually cooks a lot and is fond of saying, "I like to eat so I don't mind cooking." My grandmother usually handles biscuits, cornbread, cobblers and, when she is in the mood, lemon meringue pie. I forgot to ask my grandmother if she found her big spoon that she bought eons ago and uses to measure her ingredients.

Yesterday, the two things that were really calling my name were the cornbread and cobbler. I don't really even care for blackberries but it never stopped me from pushing them to the side and eating the dough and syrupy juice portion of the cobbler.

I was looking through Food Network Favorites' Recipes from Our All-Star Chefs while I was at my grandmother's and the recipes that jumped out at me were Mango Dos Leches, Tennessee Banana-Black Walnut Cake with Caramel Frosting and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie. I envy people who don't have a sweet tooth.

Today, I went to the gym and I went to look for a coat afterwards and the one coat that I liked was, ironically, too big. I could have worn that coat about a year and a half ago. Otherwise, my shopping expedition was Goldilocks-like except no coat turned out to be just right.

I was exhausted after looking around and glad that I had cut up an apple for a post-workout snack. And, after I stopped by Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, I ate a chocolate crisp Attune bar.

As I was picking up coffee and salsa at Trader Joe's, I almost forget to get my latest addiction, Trader Joe's Soy Mini Chocolate Sandwiches. They really are mini but filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment