Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Walking Gingerly

My calves are crying courtesy of the Arc Trainer. When I was descending the stairs at work, I had to walk gingerly.

This morning my mind was so preoccupied that I poured oatmeal into the trash can instead of a bowl or maybe my receptacle confusion happened because my morning oatmeal has become such a production of mashed banana, cinnamon, almond milk and lemon or vanilla flavoring.

I also prepare my morning snacks around oatmeal time. Lately, it’s been a cocktail of kiwi and strawberry. I used to sprinkle sugar over strawberries but when they are mixed with kiwi, they’re not as tart.

I’m glad that I had swimming on the agenda today because my calves would not have tolerated much of anything else. I was sluggish and took time to float and do the elementary back crawl which my second swimming teacher referred to as a resting stroke. When I attempt the elementary back crawl, I feel as if I am just sculling water at times. Here's a woman doing the basic backstroke. I love that this video is in another language; it makes it more entertaining.



The variety of names that people have for swimming styles is interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_backstroke

The front crawler at work does not like the phrase front crawl because she feels that it implies inactivity; she prefers freestyle but if you look in references, it will define the freestyle as Merriam-Webster does:

1: a competition in which the contestant is given more latitude than in related events; especially: swimming competition in which the swimmer may use any stroke

No comments:

Post a Comment