Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Where The Cinnamon and Cobblestone Rolls Are

Got home from the gym last night all om-ed out from yoga class where Donna kept mentioning the drishti which she had, previously, never mentioned. Don't know why I was surprised but the population of class doubled -- almost overnight.

Had I known that the electricity had gone out, I would have stayed at the gym. The power company's automated service said that they were aware of the outage and estimated that service would return around 10 p.m. I kept hoping that I would hear devices click on sometime during the night but it never happened...

I was happy to see Donna. Last week my mat-neighbor, who had on a knit ear flap hat, told me that the sub was in the house again.

Me: I think I'm gonna leave.

Ear Flap Hat Wearer: I'm sorry.

Me: It's okay...
Months ago, I decided to get an ipod Touch. So glad. I watched the pilot episode of Pan Am and read Original Sin, a sampler that I had downloaded. Went to bed earlier than I normally do because things are far less interesting when there's no electricity. Woke up around 3:45 a.m. and wondered what I would do for breakfast.

Hours later, had a banana then a piece of wheat bread with almond butter then went by the St. Louis Bread Co. for coffee where the evil, mile-high cinnamon and cobblestone rolls stared at me.

Nothing to make me take a trip down memory lane like staring at rolls and danishes and paying $2 dollars plus for regular coffee. I used to be such a cafe mocha girl and, as Dr. Phil said, I don't care what you call them cappuccino, frappuccino, caramel latte -- they're all just hot milkshakes.

P.S. Thanks to my brother, who got me a well-made blanket in Korea years ago, I stayed pretty warm last night.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your nice comment on the upcoming book! Glad to hear you are well - and I hope your electricity came back on soon. I never developed a taste for "coffee shakes" but do drink it plain with nothing in it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a long time for the power to be out. Ours goes out a couple times a month, but just for a second, just long enough to reset the clocks and crash the computer :)

    It's true it's hard to entertain yourself without electricity - I can live without the TV, but it's hard to read with a flashlight. Too many hands required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Diane,

    The stint without electricity wasn't too bad and made me more appreciative of when things are running without a glitch...


    @gingerzingi,

    LOL. Too many hands required, hunh? It takes me a minute to get unaddicted from television but, usually, if I have a book around I'm okay. The iPod was kind of cool because you don't have to shine a light on it. :)

    ReplyDelete