Sunday, October 13, 2013

Body Biography

My iPod alarm went off and the first thing that popped into my mind was This ain't living...

As I talked to Hazira on Friday, it dawned on me that I haven't said To nije zivot in ages -- probably years. To nije zivot is the Bosnian equivalent of This ain't living.

When I visualized the time, I realized that it was not my normal getting up time but I had set the alarm clock so that I could make it to Gloria's 9 a.m. class. I wanted to go to the early class so that I'd have time to cook, exercise (more) and visit.

Gloria was very energized and, at times, I wanted to rest in fetal position instead of child's pose. We did so many planks and down dogs that I almost became friends with down dog. Although, I might have to put Warrior I on my nemesis list.

One of the first things that Gloria talked about today was the "Autobiography of the Body" and how it records stress in the hips, shoulders, necks etc.

I started thinking about Autobiography of Miss Jane Pitmann...of Malcolm X....The Vagina Monologues...

Hips high...heels low, Gloria advised during downward-facing dog. My heels never get low but as Gloria said for hanumanasana (split), you have a lifetime to get there or maybe not.

After class, Gloria was beaming and a fellow yogi commented that yoga brings a smile to her face as well. ...Yoga magic, Gloria said.

Went for a short bike ride while soup cooked then went for a walk because it was just too nice to be inside. I wanted to break out and do a sun salutation but I didn't really want to do it outside. I suddenly remembered that I have a sun porch.

Got my mat, threw open the windows and saluted the sun. While I chopped vegetables, I listened to Bill Withers' Lovely Day and that pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment