Thursday, January 2, 2014

Unspoken Resolve

If I've had any resolutions the past couple of years, it has been more compassion (repeat) -- for myself, a post-Happiness Project goal.

It's so true:
If your compassion does not include yourself, it is not complete. -Siddhartha Gautama 
And a funny thing happens on the way to self-compassion, it is much easier to be compassionate and patient with others. It reminds me of when Saul David Raye said that the mantra May all beings be happy and free... keeps your heart open. And it does...

One of my aunts has major circulation issues and now weighs 90.8 pounds. It's a series of numbers that might as well be tattooed on my neck because I will not forget them.

It is not lost on me that I'm constantly trying to achieve a lower number on the scale and my aunt has lost so much.

I'm not going to try to romanticize poverty or anything but health is everything. If I have a resolution, it's to continue on the path that I've been traveling for a while now.

When I'm in tadasana or mountain pose, I'm prone to think of my aunt. The feet are the trigger. I look at my toes but, mainly, I look at the veins running through my feet. There's nothing more grounding and nothing makes me more determined to hit the road and continue this journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment