Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How Not to Ego Trip

Just hung up five saturated items and not quite sure what I did with the sixth one...Earlier in the program, I went to lay my yoga mat down and could tell that the room was hotter than it's ever been.

As I stood in mountain pose, I knew that we were going to be in for a wild ride. Sweat was already rolling down my neck. I was also glistening although we had yet to move.

Cindy encouraged everyone to rest when they needed to. She also advised us to not let our egos get in the way by, say, trying to conquer standing head to knee pose if you weren't ready for it.

I did not let my ego get in the way. I rested when I needed to and I dealt with my mind because, for the first time, I didn't know if I would be able to stay in the room for 90 minutes.

I checked the temp afterwards and the humidity was at 64%. I have never drained my entire water bottle before but I was near empty. I had about nine cans of La Croix sparkling orange water in the car but I knew that I didn't want it. I was after something cold. Went to the store then almost drained half of a 20 oz bottle, drank some warm (yuck) low fat chocolate milk (also riding in the car) then finished off my 20 oz.

Tonight, James Brown and Nikki Giovanni are vying for my attention. Haven't thought of Giovanni's Ego Tripping poem in ages:

...I am so perfect so divine so ethereal so surreal
I cannot be comprehended except by my permission

I mean...I...can fly
like a bird in the sky...
But Cindy also made me think of Brown when she said take what you need i.e. a resting pose (mountain, hero or savasana)-- when needed.

I don't want nobody to give me nothing. Open up the door and I'll get it myself...

P.S. Getting out of the room almost made me forget about that very challenging chair pose sequence. Almost... And if you think chair pose is not challenging, you haven't done it with Cindy who guided us low down (really low down) into the pose...

No comments:

Post a Comment