Monday, February 18, 2013

Your Legs Are Longer Than Your Arms

For the final class in this boxing session, I really didn't know if I was going to spar or not which is what I told Dawn when she asked me.

The doorbell rang to the "historic" building that houses the Y's martial arts program and I offered to open the door but Dawn sent someone else because she wanted to suit me up.

Did I say yes? I asked one of my classmates.
You said maybe and that means Dawn is suiting you up.

As we stood around looking like Michelin Men, Lori asked the question that was on my mind -- What is the goal?



Dawn said that the goal for one person might be to get in a crescent kick and for someone else it might be to use their left leg instead of right.

Mike told us first-timers that if someone is kicking you, some part of their body is exposed and he also reminded us that our legs are longer than our arms which is cool with me because I love kicking. As I sparred, Dawn told me not to stop at just one kick but it's hard to remember when someone is coming at you...

Overall, controlled fighting was a good experience. I'm glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone to participate and thanks to Dawn for ignoring my maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment