Saturday, October 1, 2011

Just Pedal...With Consolations

Ever since Patti started training for her Bike MS event, she's been inviting me to go bicycling and I finally took her up on her offer. Mind you, I've been bicycling sporadically and the last time that I went (on Sept. 4th) a mere nine miles wore me out.

I had a dream last night and, in the dream, I woke up late, forgot to eat breakfast and damaged my bike at the library. Not sure why I made a pit stop at the library.

We ended up doing approximately 28 miles which is the longest mileage that I've racked up in one bicycling outing. I like the art of the drive-by and I'm usually done with bicycling in about an hour or an hour and a half.

At one point, it felt like I was in The Twilight Zone. I thought I was pedaling but didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. I was so relieved when Crystal said something about a subtle hill.

During the last leg, when I felt like we would never get back to the finish line, I told Patti to just go ahead; it was an offer that I extended multiple times because I just ran out of steam. I kept telling myself to just pedal and, eventually, I'd get back to where I started from.

When we finally got towards the end of our ride, Crystal said If it's any consolation, we're close. Although, Michelle did challenge her, very funnily, about what constitutes close.

Michelle also chimed in to say that when she first bicycled that kind of mileage, it was tough but now it's easier. Duly noted...

Patti was coaching me along at the end. You are going to be so proud of yourself when you make it to the end and, later, We are doing this for our health... She also kept trying to distract me with nature which worked...a little.

Nickel Plate Trail


Postscript: Crystal has some gadget and reports that we rode 29.8 miles.

2 comments:

  1. I give you mad props for doing a charitable fitness event like an MS ride. Very cool.

    Yes, try hot yoga. Do it. I think you'll like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,

    The mad props go to Patti; she's the one who did Bike MS. I just went along for a regular old bike ride on Saturday. I would have liked a medal or t-shirt or something though. ;)

    ReplyDelete