Monday, June 24, 2013

Not My Regular Sparring Partner

There were only six of us, initially, at boxing class and by 6:15, I knew that my regular sparring partner was not coming.

I partnered up with the person who stood next to me during the warm-up. Not knowing someone, standing face-to-face and in close proximity? An introvert's brief nightmare.

Still don't know my partner's name but he was super nice.

The seventh student walked into class about 15 minutes into the session and quickly had to sit down after a moving series of jab...jab...jab...cross...duck...duck...duck....jab. Dude, the youngest one in the class, looked downright woozy.

She broke him down quipped my sparring partner. I thought about it afterwards. I've seen the woozy one walking after class and he probably got broken down by the heat prior to class.

We worked on self-defense moves at the end of class. One exercise involved rotating on the hips (as if someone had pushed you down) and kicking at the same time. Part of me didn't want to do it because I knew it would be an awkward maneuver and I said as much. My sparring said: Now is a great time to practice then...

No comments:

Post a Comment