Monday, May 12, 2014

What Ifs

Not The Woodsy Part
Finally went to get oil changed and tires rotated. I've been wondering if my car is noisier because it's old or if another wheel bearing had worn out. No matter, when you have an old car, you dread the moment when the mechanic walks out and instead of being finished with, say, the oil change, he wants to talk with you.

Handed my keys over and headed in the direction of a park that I'd seen before. The hiking-like, woodsy area surprised me and I prayed that no ticks would attach themselves because I had on capris and short sleeves and hadn't sprayed anything to deter insects.

About 40 minutes into my walk, I got a call that my car was ready and they hadn't spotted any glaring issues. {Exhale}

Listened to Krista Tippet's interview, Deromanticizing Civil Rights Movement, with Gwendolyn Zoharah Simmons and Lucas Johnson. Liked it when Simmons said This is why I can't give up. Don't remember the entire context but she said that great strides have been made but there's still more work to be done.

Worry about my car often makes me think of the documentary Craigslist Joe. All of Joe's food, lodging, entertainment and transportation are gotten, for free, via Craigslist. He even goes to an alternative healer at some point.

Joe makes his way across several states and his benefactor has an ancient car. And you know what? It breaks down but they're able to get it fixed.

At the end of his epic trek (with Charley Boorman) from London to New York by motorcycle in Long Way Round, Ewan McGregor says something like Don't let what ifs stop you from going on an adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment