Sunday, March 1, 2009

Standbys

On Friday, I went to a work-related luncheon and I wondered what would be on the menu. As soon as I entered the dining room, I saw slabs of cheesecake on the table. Haha, my first temptation.

I ate my salad sans dressing and passed the bread basket without reaching in. Those little balls of butter were visually appealing though. Lunch consisted of tilapia, pasta and mixed vegetables. The tilapia had a very nice flavor but had a cream sauce on top. At first, I was trying to eat around the sauce and I just finally gave in and ate it but I left the pasta alone. I do eat pasta but I try to make it whole wheat these days.

I also noticed that my tablemate had a tiny shrimp (disguised by cream sauce) on top of her tilapia. I was really hoping that the tilapia and shrimp had not been cooked together because I knew that there would be a shrimp on my plate as well. If push came to shove, I could have gone to Walgreens for some Benadryl.

Fast food is so off my radar these days. I didn't even notice that the Pizza Hut by skanky Schnucks had closed.

I don't cook all the time but I do have some standby meals like Kashi entrees.


I've tried Kashi's Black Bean Mango frozen entree and the Pesto Pasta Primavera.
I prefer the Black Bean one since the sodium count is 430mg compared to 750mg on the Pesto Pasta. As Dr. Oz would say, don't go for the head fake. As vigilant as I am, I didn't even look at the nutrition facts, I just assumed that the Pesto Pasta would be comparable to the Black Bean as far as the sodium was concerned.

If you would like to try a Kashi frozen entree, now is the time since they are giving away coupons for a free entree and Kashi is pretty good about sending out the goods.

http://www.kashi.com/picturehunt

No comments:

Post a Comment