Monday, January 18, 2010

Cool Beans

I have two aunts who are big Sunday cookers and I'm always welcome to partake of Sunday dinner but, for the last two years, it's been a hit or miss proposition since I've eliminated certain things, like fried food, from my diet.

I received a special invitation from my aunt Girt to come to dinner on Sunday. I'm marinating chicken wings, she said and I'm making a green bean salad that's only 60 calories; you can eat that.

It sounded innocent enough. I made sure that I did what I needed to do in order to be in Illinois at dinner time.

I don't know what the marinade consisted of but the baked chicken wings were a little greasy but I didn't inquire about the marinade. Brownie point for me. The green bean salad was good and I found out that my aunt had gotten the recipe from a little pamphlet called 43 Healthy Soul Food Recipes, a publication of The American Heart and Stroke Associations.


What absolutely made my day was the brown rice that my aunt made. She also cooked a pot of white rice for everyone else. Of course, she promptly sent the remainder of the brown rice home with me.

3 comments:

  1. What a good auntie you have! That salad looks really, really good. Probably the chicken tasted a little greasy because the marinade had some oil in it. usually there's oil, an acid, and some herbs in a marinade.

    I'm glad you went and enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. That little exchange reminded me of some similar conversations I've had with m y Grandmas lately. They are all perplexed over what to serve me since I started this new diet. It's sort of cute, but at the same time I feel myself repeating the same thing like "No, I can't eat tomatoes" over and over and...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Diane,

    Yes, my aunt is pretty good to me.

    Thanks for the marinade info. I tried not to freak out about it too much.

    @Sara,

    I was gonna say that your G'mas will come around eventually but maybe not. My grandmother was constantly trying to feed me any and everything.

    ReplyDelete