Saturday, January 30, 2010

You Are In Control Of Your Body

I went to a Step class again. I normally go rock climbing on Saturday but I'll climb the walls tomorrow.

Today's Step class was a great experience especially after Thursday's debacle. Catherine asked if there was anyone new then proceeded to let everyone know what to expect.

Follow my cues, Catherine said as in -- I'll lead you in the right direction.

Catherine was encouraging and upbeat the whole time. Even though I couldn't quite catch on to the Broadway, drunken pig (hunh?), revolving door and pivot moves, I never felt out of place since it was a very welcoming environment. Plus, I found comfort in those old stand-bys: hamstring curls, the grapevine, traveling knees and the V-step. ;)

Once we pulled out the weights, Catherine took a survey of the room and walked around. She talked a significant amount of time about keeping your body in alignment, especially the knees.

You are in control of your body. Then, keep your mind on your muscles -- as we were doing tricep dips.
As class was winding down, Catherine gave a short promo about other classes that she teaches. Without stuttering, pausing or arrogance, she said I'm very good. And she is good but I don't know if she's good enough for me to get up for a 6:00 a.m. Step class. Know what I mean?

My bad experience with Thursday's Step class got me to thinking about Tracy otherwise fondly known as Crazy Tracy. I've been intending to write a letter to the YMCA since Jan. 1st because I think that Tracy is such a great ambassador for them.

There have been many times when I have written a letter regarding dissatisfactory service but I wanted to do the opposite and pay homage to satisfaction. The letter, in part:

I attended the Grand Opening of the Rec Plex and attended several of Tracy’s classes, including Boot Camp, Step, and Turbo Kick. I’m sure that someone has mentioned this before but Tracy is a superb instructor. I don’t think that I’ve ever enjoyed getting fit so much. Tracy just struck all the right chords.

As I continue to figure out what is the best facility for my regimen and budget, I just have to say that Tracy, almost single-handedly, makes me want to join the Y.

Regards...
Ha, not the Broadway that we did today.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you are going to send the letter commending Tracey. So often I forget to recognize those people who do a great job!

    Sounds like you had a good class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,

    It was a great class because the teacher was awesome. I really enjoy good instruction.

    I put those letters (one for each Y) in the mail today. It's nice to check something of the to do list.

    ReplyDelete