Saturday, June 6, 2009

Will I Ever Be Normal?

My work posse is like the canary in the coal mine. About a week and a half ago, several people started telling me that I looked slimmer or commented that they were going to start exercising because it was working for me.

The ultimate authority on all weight loss manners i.e. my scale finally weighed in (no pun intended) and registered what the canaries had foretold.

For some reason, I googled BMI calculators. I find it quite annoying that after losing 54 pounds that I'm still considered to be in the obese category. Are you kidding? Really. There's a whole tab between obese and normal and I'm not shooting for normal either.


According to the Mayo Clinic, here's what I can do about my BMI:

Consider the benefits of achieving a healthy weight — a reduced risk of serious health conditions such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes, increased energy and improved self-esteem, for example. Then talk to your doctor about the best weight-loss approach for you. To get started:

  • Embrace healthy eating as a lifestyle by choosing a variety of nutrient-rich foods including fruits, vegetables and whole grains.


  • Exercise. Before exercising ask your doctor about the right level and type of activities for you. Remember, even small amounts of activity provide immediate health benefits.


  • Set action goals focused on specific healthy activities such as starting a daily food and activity diary.
  • For more information on body mass index, check out the CDC's website:

    About BMI For Adults

    I went swimming today. There were only a few folks there when the doors opened. When it's quiet at the pool and, particularly, when I'm doing the back crawl, I have a tendency to start thinking about stuff, especially about the time when I was taking swimming lessons.

    I started to think about how I would take what Jim called the Nestea plunge when I attempted to float. I also thought about how my goggles fell off in the deep end. Jim asked about the whereabouts of my goggles. I matter-of-factly said, they fell off. I was thinking that that was $11.69 at the bottom of the pool because I was not even thinking about retrieving them but Jim was kind enough to get the goggles for me.

    I got in 17 laps before I had to share a lane which I don't do well. I once watched as some girls from the Mehlville swim team practiced in circular fashion in one lane. Their lane sharing ended up being more like synchronized swimming. Another time, the pool was also well-populated and I felt something on my leg. I actually stopped in ten feet of water (minus treading) because I had forgotten my location. I feel lucky that I didn't panic. It was one of the girls from the swim team and she was lane sharing but, alas, she didn't know with whom she was sharing.

    Today, I shared for three laps to bring my total to a nice even 20 then I exited the pool. As usual, sleepiness descended swiftly.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment