Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Return

I left everything that I had and more on the St. Louis Riverfront Trail. I was so excited when I started off. I love to see the starting line. I know that once I take a right turn, I'm off and the trail will span out before me for miles and miles.


After I went past mile marker eight, I could see The Old Chain of Rocks Bridge and I continued to head in that direction until I came up on the side of it.






On the way back, two people asked me if I was okay. Thanks to you both -- the woman in the pink shirt and the older woman with the bicycles on her socks. When the woman with bicycle socks inquired, I was thinking it's easy for you because of the tandem ride. I guess sarcasm kicks in when you're struggling and, possibly, dehydrated. I prepared two bottles of water but left one in the car. I was so happy to see this descent along with the one at the four and a half mile point.


The view was awesome and I was grateful that I didn't have to pedal. I had to do a lot of talking to myself on the way back. The St. Louis Riverfront Trail almost became a Trail of Tears because I was seriously bonking. I started off singing but I was silent on the return trip. When I got back to the car, I saw that it had taken me two and a half hours to complete my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment