Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Moving Through Forest Park

As Paul D says of Sethe in Morrison's Beloved, Forest Park is a friend of my mind; it moves me. It is where I initially shed pounds. I also resolved many dilemmas while walking the 6.2 trail there. I returned to Forest Park as a cyclist and not a walker today.

Mile two was challenging. I don't know if it was a subtle hill, my bike or what but I struggled and felt as if I was going in slow motion.

By Skinker and Clayton, there is a major descent. I don't think that I touched the pedals for an entire mile or, at least, until I got by the zoo -- close to where the zebras reside. I must say that it was quite exhilarating whipping along that section. Yes, I know; it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. I did the 6.2 miles in about forty minutes. So, I decided to bike from Union to Forsyth again. I do like to go for an hour.

I saw this woman, Fabiola, that I know. She's batty too. Her exercise of choice was inline skating and all I could see was skin and no wrist or knee pads but she looked liked she was holding her own.

Here, I paused to eat my Raisin Almond Soyjoy and take a sip of water.


On the way back home, I saw the Harris Stowe State University band practicing. I wanted to stop and listen to the free concert for awhile. It was a beautiful day for a band to play and it was a beautiful day for bicycling too.

No comments:

Post a Comment